Here To Protect Your Future And Your Rights
Your future is too important to entrust it with just anyone, and the police are not on your side. If you have been accused of a crime in Dane County or the surrounding area, you need a defense attorney who will take forceful action on your behalf. At Nicholson Goetz & Otis, S.C., this is all we do.
By focusing primarily on Wisconsin criminal law, we have developed in-depth knowledge of Wisconsin criminal statutes, case law and criminal procedures used in the local courts. We know the local players as well — the judges, prosecutors, investigators and other professionals whose work will impact your case.
We also know how to protect your constitutional rights and the actions that prosecutors may take to violate those rights. We don’t let that happen to our clients. As part of a serious and aggressive criminal defense, we will take every action possible within the bounds of the law to protect your rights and your freedom.
Our Madison law firm handles a full range of misdemeanor and felony charges in Wisconsin state courts, including:
- Sex crimes — including sexual assault, statutory rape, child pornography and college Title IX hearings
- Homicides — including deaths that result from car accidents, drug overdoses, felony murder and intentional homicide
- Violent felonies and weapons offenses — including battery, manslaughter and sexual assault
- Domestic violence crimes — involving several layers of charges and restraining orders
- Drug offenses — from minor in possession to manufacturing and trafficking charges
- DUI/OWI charges — and related charges of driving without a license, reckless homicide and routine traffic offenses
- Misdemeanors — including disorderly conduct and other minor offenses that still impact your life
- Human trafficking — a serious offense that involves promoting individuals for labor or prostitution against their will
- Stalking charges — complex crimes that require a sensitive touch and a thorough knowledge of the law to avoid heavy penalties
We also represent clients in juvenile court matters. We have in-depth knowledge of the juvenile justice system and help minors achieve the best possible results when facing criminal allegations. Minors accused of crimes such as shoplifting, possession of a fake ID, vandalism, DWI and minor in possession are treated differently from adults. In more serious matters such as homicide, rape and sexual assault, however, juveniles can be tried as adults. We have the knowledge, experience and resources to handle even the most serious matters.
What To Expect In Your Free 30-Minute Initial Consultation
When you talk with one of our lawyers during your free 30-minute initial consultation, we will review any paperwork you have received and get your side of the story. We will then walk you through the procedural steps of a criminal case in Wisconsin court. We will explain what needs to be done and when — helping you understand your choices and the best strategies to beat your case.
Cases can be resolved in many ways. You may be eligible for a first offenders program (often called deferred prosecution). While we have a reputation for resolving matters effectively at trial, we understand the stress that trials can place on defendants and their families. Depending on your goals, we may focus our approach on aggressive pretrial litigation. Our Madison criminal defense attorneys may be able to file motions to suppress evidence or pursue other pretrial litigation tactics to resolve your case.
We have won dismissals prior to trial on charges of disorderly conduct, hit-and-run, manufacturing/delivering THC and cocaine, second-degree sexual assault/use of force, second-degree sexual assault/intoxicated victim, fourth-degree sexual assault, OARs, and various municipal violations.
Contact Our Criminal Trial Lawyers
If you have been accused of a crime in Dane County or the surrounding area, contact a lawyer who will fight for you. Call our attorneys at 608-620-0018 or contact us online for a free 30-minute initial consultation. Off-site, evening and weekend meetings are available by appointment.