Civil Litigation

In addition to an extensive criminal law practice, the Madison attorneys at Nicholson & Gansner, S.C. also represent clients facing civil matters such as personal injury cases, ordinance violations, and civil rights violations.

Personal Injury Litigation

Injuries can change your life permanently. If you have been hurt because of someone else's negligence, you may have the right to be compensated for your pain and injury.

If you have been injured in any of the following circumstances, our lawyers can help obtain a settlement for you:

  • Car, truck, motorcycle, or other vehicle collision
  • Pedestrian or bicycle injury
  • Medical malpractice
  • Slip and fall
  • Animal attacks and dog bites
  • Nursing home abuse and neglect
  • Wrongful Death

Our lawyers understand that injuries can wreak havoc on your life. We understand that dealing with pain and injuries can be stressful, confusing, and costly. If you have sustained a personal injury caused by someone else, you may be entitled to financial compensation for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost income or wages
  • Loss of future earning potential
  • Medical costs
  • Emotional suffering or distress

In Wisconsin, you have a limited time to obtain compensation for your injuries. In most cases, you have a three-year window following the accident or injury. So it's important to act quickly.

Call our attorneys today for a free initial consultation. We work on a contingency basis, meaning that we only get paid for our work if we recover compensation for you. Let the attorneys at Nicholson & Gansner, S.C. deal with the insurance companies and help you obtain a fair, proper settlement.

City, Municipal, and County Ordinance Violations

In Wisconsin law there is an important distinction between criminal and civil charges. Not every contact with law enforcement results in criminal charges. You can be cited or charged with violating city, municipal, or county ordinances. These violations are forfeiture offenses, not criminal offenses. You can be fined (the forfeiture of money) for these violations but you cannot be sentenced to jail.

Common city, municipal, or county ordinance violations include:

  • Disorderly conduct
  • Underage drinking
  • Theft
  • Possession of THC

Even though you cannot be sent to jail for these offenses, they can still have adverse collateral consequences. For example, if you are a young person, civil ordinance violations could impact your ability to get into college or graduate school, as they appear on background checks. Underage drinking citations can cause your driver's license to be suspended. Ordinance violation adjudications may make it more difficult for you to get an apartment or find a job.

Wisconsin Civil Rights Violations

If you have had your constitutional, civil rights violated by police, law enforcement, or other governmental entities, contact the attorneys at Nicholson & Gansner, S.C. Your civil rights, including issues of sexual orientation, gender, race, religion, and free speech, are critically important. Let us defend your rights.

If you have a civil rights problem and you need help, contact the Wisconsin attorneys at Nicholson & Gansner, S.C.